This morning, Sneed asked what I wanted to do today. We like to be spontaneous. I said I wanted to get a photo of some white wildflowers we had been seeing along the roadside but hadn't shot yet. I asked him what he wanted to do. He said, "Let's drive some back roads to Blessing for lunch". That was a good deal!
We hopped into the car, and toodled down the road stopping to get the photo first. Officially known as Lindheimer's Bee Balm, I think this looks more like steamed rice on a stalk.
We arrived in Blessing right around noon. Perfect timing! The first thing we noticed was the old hotel had gotten a paint job. The inside was the same old, same old. The food was the same as ever. Just down home cookin' by LOLs - Little, Old, Ladies. They've been making the same green beans, taters, greens, corn, peas, etc with (this time) some liver and onions, chicken fried steak, and fried chicken all being kept piping hot on the old timey stoves. There's salad and cole slaw, and cherry and peach cobblers as desserts. All this for less than $10 each and it's all you can eat. Worth the trip a couple times a year.


The following photos are some scenes on the way home along our great Texas highways...
No comments:
Post a Comment