Thursday, April 21

Bayou Bend Collection & Gardens

Beth and Richard, Carolyn, Peggy, and I were having lunch at Potbelly's yesterday when Peggy mentioned an upcoming trip to Bayou Bend that our Y was sponsoring. On the spur of the moment  we all, save Richard, expressed interest in going, so Peggy called Emily at the Y to see when it would be happening. As luck would have it, it was happening today so she signed us up and learned we would need to meet there at 1230. Plans were made and Carolyn volunteered to drive us in her beautiful new Matador Red Lexus SUV.

Today we traveled down in complete comfort making the trip in no time at all. Since we had an hour to spare, we went across the street from Bayou Bend to the Subway restaurant. While the girls were waiting to order, I stepped over and was perusing the menu on the other side of the room. I noticed a young woman who had come in and was standing behind the group. As I approached the line, I realized it was Laura, who used to work at IAA when I did. It has been a little over 5 years since we had seen each other. It was so serendipitous seeing her there. We had a nice chat and I semi-caught up on her and TJ's comings and goings til now. I now know she is back in Houston and working at M D Anderson in the Compliance Department and doing some tech work there as well.

After traveling back across the street to Bayou Bend, we went into the new Kilroy Center, paid our admission, checked out the small museum area, and watched some short movies about what we would be seeing.

A brief introduction to the Hogg Family ~ Ima in 1900 at 18 years old

Ima as a youngster and later in life. Contrary to popular belief, Ima did not have a sister named Ura...she had 3 brothers.

A sampling of furnishings was displayed in the museum

The line-up on the suspension "Bridge of Sighs"  - just ask Beth about it = )
In the far right photo from back to front - Emily, Carolyn, Beth, Peggy, Delores and her mother

Designed by architect John Staub, the house was built between 1927-28 on 14 acres in the heart of River Oaks in a separate subdivision called Homewoods. Originally, Ima lived there with her two older brothers. When they married and  moved away, Ima stayed in the estate until 1965 although she gifted Bayou Bend to the the MFA of Houston in 1957.The gardens were devastated from Hurricane Ike in 2008. It will be a number of years before they are restored to their previous glory.

As cameras are not allowed in Bayou Bend, I took a photo of a pamphlet I picked up so as to show some of the treasures Ima had collected over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment