Thursday, December 9

Freeport, Grand Bahama Island

Sunrise as we pull into Freeport ~ The red ship in the third photo appears to be floating above the horizon as shown in the fourth photo as well
More of the sunrise ~ The ship's location on the televised map. The red circle is Freeport. It's amazing what I had to endure to get some sunrise photos. Carolyn and I were having breakfast al fresco on our balcony as we were wont to do. As I enjoyed my Frosted Flakes, I realized the beautiful sunrise begged to have its photo taken. I carefully placed the cereal bowl on my chair, maneuvered over the makeshift table, and took a few photos. After carefully stretching my long legs one by one back over the lounge chair (the table), the next thing I knew upon sitting down, Kerplop!, I was in my cereal bowl. What a rude awakening that was. Fortunately, the hair dryer came in handy drying off my pants. Can you imagine the sound if I had landed in a bowl of Rice Krispies? Snap! Crackle! Pop!
Our first stop (after a 45 minute squished bus ride to the actual tour bus that was in Lucaya)  was the Garden of the Groves (Wallace and Georgette Groves,  the founders of Freeport/Lucaya).
Common Moorhen ~ Green Heron ~ Great Blue Heron
The chapel built of native stone is a replica of Freeport's first church built by Wallace Groves. This one was built in 1973 in honor of the Groves. Destroyed by hurricanes in 2004, it has undergone a recent renovation. ~ Sherrea, our garden guide ~ The Labyrinth is a replica of the first Christian labyrinth in Chartres Cathedral, France. The Labyrinth walk is representative of Life's journeys and experiences.
Purple flower is Thunbergia, followed by Plumeria, and Hibiscus

Back on the ship, we're ready to enjoy one of the Vegas-style shows ~ Our favorite towel figure, the Monkey. Each night we were excited to see what towel figure would greet us when we returned to our stateroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment