Sneed drove up in the morning as he was co-host with Eddy who lives in CS. I drove up later in the afternoon after watching Olsin that morning. Quite a few members had shown up by the time I arrived. Some really cool cars were in the back parking lot. The Datsun added to their splendor. The biggest decision that night, Thursday, was where to have dinner. Ninfas's (a great Mexican restaurant) was right down the road so we hopped the low gate into the Nissan car lot next door, and jumped it once again on the far side before getting to the Ninfa's parking lot. I pigged out on chips and guacamole sauce so that by the time the fajitas Sneed and I were sharing came, I wasn't hungry...but I ate anyway. Burp! They do have good green sauce.
During the Spring Meet we try to drive the cars to interesting places so as to enjoy the cars and the scenery. This morning after breakfast at the Hampton, Sneed had a drivers' meeting to hand out the map and written instructions so no one would get lost along the way. The plan was to mosey along back roads to Lillians Farms where we would have lunch. Along the way, we went past the Grimes County Courthouse in Anderson which was built way back in 1883. Then, unbeknownst to us, the highway department decided to lay some new tar on one of the roads. That made for some sticky driving.

Wildflowers were just beginning to peek through the grass.

As we meandered for about 3 miles on a dirt/gravel road (a no-no some drivers later told us, but hey, the cars are meant to be driven, right?) a bull was outside the fence to greet the Flying B as we warily skirted by. Somehow, the cows were smarter remaining behind the fence in a field of yellow flowers providing a lovely pastoral scene. After going through the entrance for Lillian Farms, two geese going to the lake welcomed Marque.

Here is Barbara welcoming us to Lillian Farms for a second visit. We first visited here in 2007 when we did the National Spring Tour in TX. The cars added a bit of luxury to the beautiful surroundings.

The tables were set beautifully, each with a different spring colored gingham cloth and geranium centerpiece. No plastic here. Barbara's head chef, Kathleen, served up a wonderful light lunch, just what the doctor ordered. The scooped out avocado shell with shrimp salad was yummy. The cheese biscuits were to die for. Sharon twisted arms and managed to get the recipe.

Whilst eating, we enjoyed the singing of Tena Rae Helm. Click the video to watch her singing Texans' favorite song. Get a load of the gal playing the keyboard. One can tell she is into the music.
The next stop on our tour through the countryside was Blue Bell Creameries. Fortunately we were all wearing our nametags when we went in to inquire about a tour. The last tour for the day was scheduled for 230 and here we all were five minutes late. Luck was with us as they added a tour just for our group. WooHoo is about all I can say. This was my kind of tour, a 1/4 mile walking tour of how ice cream is made. At the end of the tour we were all treated to a 3 scoop cup of whatever flavor we wanted. I chose Mocha Madness - coffee ice cream with pecans, chocolate chips and caramel. Ice cream being my favorite food, although I've been told it isn't a food, I was in 7th heaven. The creamery's slogan is "We eat all we can, and we sell the rest." Now that's a great advertising campaign. And employees do get to eat all they want. Perhaps I could get a summer job there?
No comments:
Post a Comment