Monday, December 28

Parting is such sweet sorrow

After getting to know and spend time with Brett's family and with Annemarie and Brett, it was definitely hard to head on down the road to LAX this morning to catch our 1230 flight back to IAH. But...we know we will be back soon. Definitely in July for the BIG EVENT so that's the 'sweet' part of the sorrow.

Leaving on a Monday, Sneed was worried about traffic as we encountered quite a bit when we drove up to SB last Wednesday. To pass the time (when I'm not trying to focus the camera while going down the road at speeds too hot to mention), I like to decipher personalized license plates. A few we have seen while out here are: TUKTA on a Mercedes coupe; BCH+SNO; PALADN7 and it acually had a chess piece silhouette pasted between the N and 7; 4R 4WORK on a 4 Runner; RTFL DGR (an obvious Dickens fan); IMA BKKR; 3XADADY (Sneed could have this one); PRN FALU; and 4EYES4T. We didn't figure them all out save the overtly obvious ones. Any help would be appreciated. = )

We left Annemarie's at 0700, dropped off the rental car, and made it to the airport and through security by 0930. WOW, now what do we do for the next three hours. Since we hadn't eaten before we left, we decided to give Ruby's Diner a go. This was a new place to us and the food was 'great' as they sing in their song.


While we were sitting at our gate, a Japanese man put a large camera case on the floor, opened it, and started assembling his camera with a super huge lens. He proceeded to point it out the window, focusing near and far retracting and extending the lens at will. Sneed went to see what there was to do in our terminal... Nothing! (LAX is undergoing a huge renovation and the amenities for passengers to while away their time were zip, zero, nada, zilch). I was reading one of the books I had brought along for just such situations - I didn't get to open them whilst in CA until now. When Sneed sat down, I nudged him to look at the man at the window and told him he was taking photos constantly. A man standing nearby said, "I reported him to Security". I thought, thank you so much and I hope he's not on our flight. Believe it or not, it was almost 30 minutes before Security came and pulled him aside to question him. They looked at his passport and talked to him for 10-15 minutes. Guess he wasn't on any lists, as they let him return to the window, pick up his camera, and resume taking photos. The only saving grace is that another flight was called and he packed up his gear and boarded that plane. Am I getting paranoid? You better believe it!!



It's not often that the moon is right outside your window. Looks a bit bigger in the photos at 35,000 feet than it does from the ground. The sunset as we approached Houston was quite nice.

Anyway, our flight was uneventful and we landed in Houston to some chilly weather and drippy skies. The Saab was where we parked it. Clyde was happy to see us home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment