Tuesday, August 17

A Bird on the Nest ... and baby makes three

Well, I'm assuming that mama had a papa waiting nearby to witness the birth. Do they do that in the bird kingdom? witness a birth? or a cracking through the shell as it were?

Anyway, Sneed noticed a nest in the crape myrtle by the front door the first weekend in August. I had been visiting the nest daily talking to the mama, a mourning White-winged dove (I saw the baby flying back to the nest today (19 August) and realized my error in identification), and encouraging her in whatever way I could. I was surprised when I finally decided to take a photo of her sitting on the nest. Lo and behold in the second photo that day, I noticed a wee one in the nest with her. I've been talking to the chick every day trying to get it to pop up a little bit higher to have its portrait made. I think it has gotten used to seeing me drop by for a visit. It didn't even blink an eye when I went out after the 35mph wind storm to see how it was doing. It was out of the nest holding on to the branch below for dear life. It will be fun to see how much longer it stays around before flying off to make its way in the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment