Friday, August 27

A visit with Deepa and Albert ...in Mumbai? No, Milpitas, CA!


I just love seeing the windmills going round and round - I could watch them all day ~ An agrarian scene ~ Kick the Bums Out political commentary ~ Another flag on a hill...makes me so proud to be an American

When I found out that our good friends, Deepa and Albert, whom we had met over 30 years ago in Iran, were in CA visiting their daughter and her family, I knew we had to visit since we would be nearby - well as near as 200 miles can be = ). Fortunately, we or should I say, Sneed doesn't mind driving. This isn't TX driving either. In TX, a 200 mile trip takes a little over 3 hours. Not exactly the same on twisty, curvy mountainous roads though.

We awoke at 4, stopped for some breakfast, and got on the road a bit before 5AM. We made arrangements to be at the front door of their daughter Ekta's home at 10AM. They were taken by surprise as we knocked at the door precisely at 10.




Deepa and Albert were stationed in Bandar Mahshahr, Iran, as were we in the mid-1970s. They were newlyweds and we had been married for 2 1/2 years. We both became pregnant with our first child - ours due in November and theirs in December. I chickened out and flew to California where my parents were living at the time. Annemarie was born in Lancaster 7 November 1976. Deepa was a real stalwart for staying in Iran. She also had a daughter. Ekta Farah was born 3 December 1976. Annemarie and Ekta had 'playdates' while Deepa and I visited with each other. Through the years we have kept in touch so I couldn't let this opportunity of being near CA and not visiting pass me by.


Let's see if I can remember the names of the dishes...Vegetable Pilau, Chicken Curry, Basmati rice with vegetables ~ please correct me if I'm wrong, Deepa

It felt just like old times watching Deepa perform miracles in the kitchen. The only difference was that Ekta was helping this time. Although not photographed, Ekta made a tasty Vermicelli Pudding for dessert. Sneed visited with Albert while we visited in the kitchen. Pooja, Ekta's younger sister, and Saswata, Ekta's husband, joined us for lunch. And what a feast it was. We didn't get to meet Sean or Kimaya, Ekta's adorable children and Deepa and Albert's pride and joy grandchildren as they were at 'school'.

After some group photos, we had to get on the road again and backtrack across CA 250 miles to Mammoth Lakes where Annemarie and Brett were meeting us later in the evening at a condo they had rented for the weekend.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and sumptious lunch, Deepa and Ekta. Let's get together before another 30 years pass.


Sneed, Anne, Deepa, Ekta, Albert, Pooja


Saswata was taking the photos. He appears in the top family photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment