Saturday, August 7

Ice Cream Social!!

Woo Hoo! Tonight we went to an Ice Cream Social given by the Katy Prairie Conservancy. Well, the premise is that we would learn about the treasures hidden in the Katy Prairie which is in "our own backyard" as they say. We have driven through the prairie numerous times and gotten some great photos but wanted to know what can be seen in the different seasons.

The program was listed as 6-8PM. The posting mentioned that space was limited so it would be best to arrive early. We did...at 5:31PM and already the parking lot was filling. When we entered the room, I noticed there were still a few seats in the front row, so we snagged those...besides they were comfy seats on wheels whereas the rest were plain old stationary chairs.

I forgot to take a photo of the ice cream table ~ I was so excited to scoop mint chocolate chip into my bowl and sprinkle it with 'jimmies' and top with a cherry. My second helping, yes I am a pig when it comes to ice cream, I added whipped cream as they had forgotten to put it out the first time around.

The main speakers were Gary Clark and his wife, Kathy Adams Clark, no relation. Gary is a recognized birder and writes a column every week in the Houston Chronicle. Kathy is a published photographer and illustrates Gary's columns with her photos. An example of her photography is the Atwater Prairie Chicken below which is now almost extinct. We visited the Atwater Prairie area a year or so ago, but weren't lucky to espy one. We now have some idea of birds, flowers, and wildlife to photograph and when to look for them. Come back for some photos taken this fall/winter. I'm sure we'll have some but it's too darn hot to even go to the prairie now.

1 comment:

  1. That is who I took the class from 2+ years ago in Houston. Kathy was the instructor.

    ReplyDelete