Saturday, August 28

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow (aka Leaving Annemarie and Brett in Mammoth)


Mono Lake and environs ~ one last look at snow on the mountains


Went through this cute little town named Bridgeport along the way. Since we are into taking courthouse photos and this was right on the highway, we had to stop. It was built in 1880. Looks pretty good for over 100 years old.


Look at that dark cloud and the beautiful white puffy one. Good vs evil in the skies? Good prevailed, no inclement weather. ~ I saw this field and asked Sneed to stop. I remembered how my Mom loved Lupines when we lived here long ago. I think it was too late for Lupines to be in bloom though. We took photos anyway and were pulling away from the side of the road when Sneed espied one of Bridgeport's finest pulling in behind us. He came around to my window, leaned down, and sweetly asked if we needed some assistance. He thought we were having car trouble. I asked him if the flowers were indeed Lupines, but he didn't know. I have researched them but haven't been able to identify them. Since Lupines and Bluebonnets are in the same family they would have resembled Bluebonnets more. Oh well, it was a nice story to tell and the flowers are pretty in their own right.


It's so beautiful riding through the mountains that I took way to many photos.


When I saw this sign, "Antelope Valley", I immediately thought we had made a wrong turn somewhere. We lived in Lancasterin the late 50s when I was a young girl. Lancaster was and is known as the Heart of the Antelope Valley. This was rather confusing. At least when I googled "Antelope Valley, California", our Antelope Valley was the result, not the usurper. I have to admit though that this valley was pretty. Lancaster is situated in the Mojave Desert surrounded by the Tehapachis and San Gabriel Mountains. AV was named for the pronghorn antelopes that roamed the area from the late 1780s until complete decimation from hunters and bad weather in the 1880s.


Our last visions of California before being welcomed to Nevada. ~ Interesting cloud formation there.

1 comment:

  1. You never mentioned you had a run in with the fuzz! Glad to know it was only a friendly. :o)

    ReplyDelete