Saturday, August 21

The Katy Prairie


Today we visited the Katy Prairie. We have been through various parts of it before, but were inspired at the meeting we went to awhile ago to investigate areas to which we haven't been. This may not have been our smartest decision as already the temperature was in the low 90s. We were rewarded by finding some wildflowers of which we hadn't gotten photos. Also deep in the center of the prairie, there was an active salt mining operation, Ranch House Trophy Salt.

This little guy kept a watchful eye on me as I tried to photograph the yellow flowers. At least it was a bit tamer than the brown hot dog width snake I saw move in front of me on the opposite side of the road. Needless to say, I didn't get that photo.


Top row L>R Carolina Horse Nettle, Morning Glory, Honeysuckle
Botton row L>R Green Milkweed, Engelmann's Evening Primrose, unidentified at the moment


This Blue Jasmine was quite strange. The flower appeared to be upside down. As you can see, I had to hold the camera up under the flower to get the photograph - that's why the sky is in the photo.


The Katy Prairie Conservancy entrance. Two shots of the prairie, the second showing a group of cows seeking shade from the punishing rays of the sun. Lastly, the Ranch House Trophy Salt mining operation in Hockley, TX, on the prairie.


You know you're in the country when you see these sights. Who would have thought that one could express a preference for a hay bale? But since you asked, if I had my druthers, it'd definitely be round.

Sooo, this evening we took some PB&J sandwiches and milk, parked, and watched the skies. We went back to see the sun set on the prairie. The view didn't disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment